A Mzungu in Africa

My life in St Judes School,Tanzania from January 2006

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Au Revoir - Til the next time

I estimate that I've met at least 150 new people in the last nine months since I've been at St Judes. Many of them came for only a few days or weeks, and yet I've made a lot of friends. The best part about my job is that I get to show people the school.

There have been volunteers who left who made me cry like my Irish friend Charlotte, from Wexford. There have been visitors who have touched my heart like Paul Weinland, a sponsor of the school and a dear friend. And even though I haven't met his wife, Margaret, I feel like I know her. Margaret is ill after a sad accident a few years ago which has made it increasingly difficult for her to walk. I get updates from Paul and messages from Margaret which are really special. And when my precious laptop got destroyed, Paul and Margaret arranged for me to get a new one and managed to get it from the US to Tanzania. Thank you so much. But thanks for keeping in touch after you left. I hope that one day I will meet you Margaret, and I keep you in my thoughts and prayers that your pain will ease.

I have met the dear Flemings whose family comprises of an ex-Olympian, a TV presenter and dad, Lloyd Fleming. I met the Seabrooks from NZ at St Judes and shared a lovely meal with them in Zanzibar. And the Smiths, who support the school in so many ways without ever telling us where to spend the money. I have met Rotary Teams and had such a nice time with them, cutting wood, taking them around Arusha and I love hearing from them again.

I think of Len in Newcastle, Australia who has been having more chemo the last couple of months, since he left St Judes and hope that he is okay, for his sake and the sake of the family that obviously loves him. Len is one of the most energetic, friendly and willing people I have ever met. I truly hope that he will get the good health that he and everyone deserves.

I have met some amazing people and many of them keep in touch with me. It's lovely and I really appreciate it.

Keep in touch

xx Mary

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home