A Mzungu in Africa

My life in St Judes School,Tanzania from January 2006

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

HAVING LITTLE IS A LOT

When I was packing, I was keenly aware of my 22kg baggage limit because my airline stressed that if I was overweight I’d be charged $50 per kilo (thank God that only applies to my baggage or I’d be broke)! With that in mind, I had to be careful about what I brought. So I was pretty frugal with my clothes and luxuries were few and far between. The most luxurious things I have are a bottle of perfume, my photos, some moisturizer and some nurofen! Oh yes, and chamomile tea. The rest of my stuff is split between Sydney and Dublin.

And yet, I don’t miss any of that “stuff” which his locked up in a storage unit in Sydney or a suitcase in Baldoyle. Except my trakkie daks! Occasionally I think, “oh I’d like to look at that book or where's that CD or photo or something”. But considering how much stuff is crammed into my very expensive storage unit, I now couldn’t tell you what most of it is.

AND…there’s nothing to spend money on here. Not yet anyway. My food is all covered in my US$10 a week contribution to the kitty and then I do a little shopping for breakfast stuff. My big treat was peanut butter and jam to put on my toast (not together, I’m NOT American). Other than that, the only thing I’ve needed to buy is water to drink. Pretty basic really. Beyond that, I just can't think of anything to buy and it's a really nice feeling. Surreal in fact!

It’s a big change after the Western, material-obsessed world where spending is a hobby and "things" are a measure of success. I’m sure they are here too among Africans but you really couldn't compare our idea of "things" to theirs since most of them just want stuff like electricity, running water, some new clothes, more food. I'm sure they do want for more though I can't conceive of what it is as I think about stuff like iPODs and DVd players and I doubt that's high on their agenda. Obviously it helps that their friends and relatives in the same position as them and that they're exposed to a lot less advertising than we are but again it's relative, and let's face it, they NEED far more things than we do.

I have everything need I have. The thing is, in Australia and Ireland, I also had everything I needed. In fact, I think I can safely say I always have, as have most of my friends and family (materially at least). But need and want are completely different things which are so often confused, for me anyway. It’s so easy to get caught up in the “I wants…” And suddenly, without realizing it, “I want” becomes “I need”… The lines get very blurred.

I was hoping that this year would going to highlight the distinction between the two and make me a lot more grateful for what I have. And yet, when I think about it now, it doesn't seem enough to just recognise that I have what they haven't... In fact, I'm wondering now if isn't a bit of a cop-out really to acknowledge and be grateful for my good luck. Having said that, I can't apologise for where I was born and the fact that I was fortunate enough to grown up in a place where education and food were a given. It's useless and a total waste of time feeling guilty. This has to about how we make it all a bit more equal.

Which brings me back to not being able to change the world. And yet, when I look at what Gemma, one person, did by starting this school, it become obvious that one person can make an extraordinary difference. Obviously she didn't do it alone but someone had to start it and many of us could but don't... she did and that's the difference!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home