A Mzungu in Africa

My life in St Judes School,Tanzania from January 2006

Wednesday, February 15, 2006


My friend Enjuvai in 3D

In my first week, I think I wrote about my little friend Enjuvai in 3D. She is around 11 though it's hard to say, as they rarely know themselves.


I met Enjuvai when she received a present from her sponsor, and I was asked to give it to her, take a photo and send it to her sponsor. The following day I received the cutest letter from Enjuvai, thanking me ("Miss Mery") for giving her the present that her sponsor gave her (have a look at a copy of the letter... it's fantastic!).

Since then, Enjuvai and her posse regularly visit me in the uniform, sometimes to buy a pair of socks (they cost around 50c) - I'd say every friend of Enjuvai's now has a new pair of socks! Yesterday, as I reported, I received another letter from Enjuvai telling me about her family and asking about mine, my favouite subject and animal so I dutifully replied and gave it to her. Today, I received an invitation to Enjuvat's house, to meet her family tomorrow! This is called a "homestay" and is something which volunteers regularly do, at the invitation of families.

So tomorrow, I will take the bus home with Enjuvai to Namberc (don't ask me where that is), and I'll stay with her family for dinner, sleep there, and then go to school with her the following morning. I'll probably share a bed with several children, and hopefully sleep under a mosquito net. So now I have to find some presents to bring along. I'll probably bring some sugar, rice, biscuits and other things that the family would not normally have. I think I'll bring my dictionary too, since I doubt they speak any English. And I'll bring some photos of my family!

It certainly is a privelege to be invited, and I'm sure it will be an absolute eye-opening experience. I'll be reporting back soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home