A Mzungu in Africa

My life in St Judes School,Tanzania from January 2006

Thursday, February 09, 2006

BAD NEWS IS ONLY IN THE PAPERS...

I just realised today that this place really is a cocoon. I haven't had access to a radio, tv or newspaper in the time that I've been here, almost two weeks, and I barely noticed it. I definitely don't miss the TV but I can't decide if I miss hearing the news. I'll probably start reading some on the internet but there's something very nice about being so secluded for a while. Every time I turn on the TV/ Radio or open a paper, 80% of the content is bad news. I know it's an ostrich approach but sometimes I just can't bear any more news of torture, greed, rage or any of the other deadly sins for that matter. It's nice being in a place where things are getting better. So here's a nice piece of news

There's a student in the school whose family live way, way up the mountain and she has had to leave home at 5am to get to school ontime. If this girl misses her bus, by the time she gets here it's too late to go to school. Gemma, the school director, has been looking for a local family to take her in during the week, so this girl can continue her studies but to date wasn't successful. Today, by chance, a local lady who helps many such children, was in the school and the topic came up. The lady immediately agreed to house our student during the week, for no cost at all. Now the child will be able to stay there Monday to Friday, get some more sleep, probably better food, do her homework and go home at weekends.

Sometimes there is good news!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home